We’re in the midst of a strange winter with little snow accumulation so far. If you’re one of the property owners holding out to determine if you can make it through the winter without a professional plow company, ask yourself these 5 questions first.
- Do you have the equipment, and can you afford to keep it up? Having a plow and truck is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to snow removal. Not only do you have to own the equipment, but you also need to keep it in proper working order.
- Do you want to take responsibility for slip and fall? Failure to clear sidewalks, walkways etc in a reasonable amount of time can lead to fines. More than that you are putting yourself at risk for liability due to slip and fall when you take on the task yourself.
- Do you have an emergency plan? If a major storm arrives and your equipment fails, whats your back up plan? With only one truck you could be left stuck if you have an issue with your equipment.
- Are you insured? Doing the plowing yourself on your property means that you assume responsibility for others falling on your property. This means you need to up your insurance coverage to protect your business.
- What are your costs? Add up the vehicle, equipment, de-icing materials, insurance and other tools PLUS the labor cost of you working and determine if this amount of money is comparable to hiring out.
Hiring a professional plow company is a big decision. Taking into account these 5 questions, you should have a better idea why this might be the better option for you and your property. When you choose to plow yourself you are assuming increased liability, don’t take the risk! Call us today.